Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Rockabilly Look Pt. 2

Here are some random photos I found of ALL types of girls that probably consider themselves part of the Rockabilly scene. Disclaimer: I'm an honest person, if you don't like it..IT'S JUST FUCKING FASHION!!!
Like I'd said previously, the Rockabilly scene and the Psychobilly scene have started to mesh together. The look isn't so much separate anymore. Here you can see these girls have a mixture of the Rockabilly clothing and hairstyles, with the punk rock use of bright hair color. I don't have a problem with the way these girls chose to dress, with the exception of the little one with the crazy blue bow on her head. WTF??? I wouldn't call these girls "fashion do's", but they're working with what they have. I would tell girl #1 that the full red bangs aren't working for her.


Here we see the retro hair style with Punk color...I like. Modern clothes, without even a retro feel, but considered okay by some due to the leopard print on the top. Personally I think that's too easy, but I guess since the scene appears to be watering down, it's accepted.

Very cute casual look. Retro with the bandanna in her hair and the 50s style leather jacket. Back in the 40s/50s women were NEVER seen outside of the house with a bandanna on their head. That was something worn only for a few reasons: keeping your hair up when in the bath, keeping your hair back when doing house cleaning, or during the War when women were working in factories. As a look for Rockabilly gals, I think it's cute for a casual day.

There are so many things wrong with this picture and yet so many appropriate to the scene. The divided hair color is very Psychobilly (or, what some refer to as, Gothabilly. Psychobilly kids with a dark/horror movie influence.) Again the bandanna is casual, the top and leopard print sweater look a little more dressy to me. I personally would never mix the two, but some girls don't have the same fashion discretion. Her makeup is appropriate, although those eyebrows are killing me!!! Despite the Rockabilly face should always have a strong sharp brow, this is way overboard. This is much more of a "chola" brow, so don't even think of trying it on yourself.

Here is a true Rockabilly girl. Her makeup, hair, clothing and jewelry are perfect! She's wearing a summery Hawaiian dress and her accessories are appropriate to the season. Her tattoos are kinda ugly, but whatever.
Where do I start? They have the basics down, but today hot pink is very popular, but not in the Rockabilly scene...these girls brought it in and I think it looks lame. Granted there are no rules and guidelines, this is just my personal opinion. Once again the two-toned hair is Psychobilly/Gothabilly, but its all okay. I won't mention the blonde's flip-flops, I'm sure she was initially wearing heels and is just taking a break.

Three totally different versions of what the scene fashion should be. The blonde is taking on the bombshell look, but that hideous sweater under the waist cinch is so wrong! If she took it off, she would look great. The gal in the middle looks perfect! I can't say anything is wrong there. 5 stars! The dark haired girl is obviously in an extremely casual look. Perfect example of when a flower is inappropriately worn in the hair. She's in completely modern clothes (note the leopard print tank), and they totally don't work. the layered tanks, the baggy pants. Go home and start over!
I would just like to say that, I KNOW this scene has its own look and doesn't require one to be era proper, but pleeeease do it some justice!!! Women in the 40s/50s had very little and worked very hard and they ALWAYS managed to pull themselves together to the "T". You never saw them out looking disheveled or half-assed. Even if their dress was old, it was pressed and well kept. Every woman looked like the most well dressed woman you'll see today. Women today have become so lax about clothing and their own personal image, which is their choice, but if you are going to be apart of a scene that honors a fashionably perfect historical era, represent it to the fullest! Okay, next photo...

These girls are cute. It's obvious that they like the scene and maybe even the clothing, but the feel is very vague. They aren't overdone. You get a hint of who they are by the bangs, the cuffed jeans, the pencil skirt and cardigan. Very mellow, and just okay. 2 stars.

These gals are out to be noticed! Woo Hoo! I personal have NOTHING against a curvy girl (I am one myself), but I do know what one should wear and what one shouldn't. Although their modern clothing has a retro feel and is cute, I think they should have covered up some more. I think they deserve 3.5 stars. I like the hair, the shoes are okay, the outfits are pretty good...so yeah. And they remembered the staple leopard print.

Definite retro gals! This pic was taken from a Viva Las Vegas site, but I feel that they threw this together just for the weekend, I can't help getting a vibe that it's not really them. They all look great despite my pet peeve of the flower clips, although it works for the gal with the black hat. The girl in the black swimming suit should have had less dressy shoes, something more of an espadrille or sandal, and hand over the bracelets to the girl in the middle.

I'm seeing young girls on the scene with the young retro fashion look. Everything was found at discount stores, but they put it together well. The hair isn't so much retro as it is "Rockabilly" (curls & pomp). The second girls makeup isn't retro at all, but maybe that's what she was going for, it looks good anyway. I like her top and the high waist shorts, but not together. They're beginners and for that they get 3.5 stars.

Ooooh hell!!! Okay to be honest, the look is okay, she's pulled it together with the EXCEPTION of that nasty perm and the fact that her dress is way to small for her. Girls, if a dress has stretch to it...please continue to buy your size!!! The designers have considered the stretch in the design and sizing, so you don't have to. Anyway...I don't know what the front looks like, the victory rolls on top look okay and she is wearing a flower with a dressy look, so that's good. 2.5 stars.

Here we are again with the young girls that shop at Charlotte Russe. Some have the silhouettes/colors/patterns correct, but then there are a few that are just a wreck. Again with the all red bangs...not a go! They're young, and are just trying to emulate the pin-ups they have seen on MySpace. Some will learn, some won't.

...ALL will end up looking like this. Good Luck Ladies!!!!