Friday, July 15, 2011

Time for a change, on my hair that is!

Most of you know that I am a vintage hairstyle enthusiast. On most days, I almost always wear a vintage coiffure or some variation of yesteryear's 30's, 40's and 50's dos. However, that is becoming increasingly harder to achieve with the long length of my hair, as I've let it grow out for the past few years and it now reaches the upper part of my mid-back.

I have been looking over some of my favorite silver screen starlets' locks, including the beautiful tresses and coiffures of Carole Lombard, Jean Harlow, Bette Davis, Hedy Lamarr, Vivien Leigh, Rita Hayworth, Betty Grable, Lauren Bacall, and Elizabeth Taylor. I was also inspired by the cuts of vintage gurus like Casey at Elegant Musings and Ashley from Lisa Freemont Street. After perusing all these gorgeous dos, I decided that it was time for a much-needed change. I wanted something that allowed me to more easily manage and achieve my favorite vintage hairstyles like victory rolls, pageboy styles, pompadours, skullcap coiffures, continuous rolls and the rocket. I was wary of having my hair cut in such a way that would allow me to carry out these styles simply because there really isn't any stylists in this area who specialize in vintage hairstyling. Luckily, I finally came across a wonderful book that has been out of print, Daniela Turudich's 1940's Hairstyles, which contains authentic 40's haircut diagrams for stylists to use when cutting hair.

So, since I have a clear picture of exactly what I'm wanting and a diagram to achieve that, I'm taking the plunge on Saturday and getting a middy plus cut! The cut I've chosen will layer my hair to about 4.5 inches in length, leaving it stopping right above my shoulders, with a flattering slight U shape at the bottom, which works perfect for vintage styling but still allows for modern styles when needed. Since I have naturally curly hair, I think this length will work perfect for wearing natural or in hot rollers. My hair is currently about 5 inches past my shoulders at the moment, so that means I will be having roughly 4 inches cut from my length.


Betty Grable. Image courtesy of Coluna da Sal.

Hedy Lamarr. Image courtesy of Fan Pop.

Elizabeth Taylor. Image courtesy of Elizabeth Taylor Collection.

Rita Hayworth. Image courtesy of NNDB.

Vivien Leigh. Image courtesy of All Posters.

Bette Davis. Image courtesy of Silver Screen Suppers.

Carole Lombard. Image courtesy of FMO.

I'll be sure to post again after I've gotten the cut with my new look. Wish me luck!

XOXO, Crystal