Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday Favorites: The silver screen, Swing bands & Vintage fashion

Just a few of the many vintage loves I find myself adoring this week include:

Hollywood Starlets: There's just something about the passion, complexity and uniquness of the qualities and talent that Hollywood's classic starlets brought to the silver screen long ago. I am always drawn to the films, especially black and white, that were made famous in their day during the 1930's and 1940's. They have become iconic classic films that I will treasure for years and years to come and I never tire of watching them on the screen. Just a few of my many favorite actresses during that time include great legends such as Greta Garbo, Jean Harlow, Rita Hayworth, Hedy Lamarr, Vivien Leigh, and Carole Lombard.


Hedy Lamarr. Photo courtesy of The Sydney Morning Herald



Big Band Music: I am such a huge fan of Big Band music, including swing and jazz. Whether it be the iconic big bands that started the revolution of swing or the modern day versions which draw on the big band era and add their own flavor and twist to it, I am absolutely hooked on the genres. While we don't have any kind of music hall or swing club remotely close to my area to dance in, I love the music nonetheless. In giddy anticipation of seeing one of my all-time favorite swing revival bands, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, on Memorial Day weekend at this year's Virginia Arts Festival in Williamsburg, Virginia on Saturday, May 28, I find myself listening to more and more swing, big band, and jazz music more than ever. While the list of my favorite musicians and bands is far too long to list, a few of my most favorites include such greats as Benny Goodman, Louis Prima, the Andrews Sisters, the Bruce Fowler Big Band, Duke Ellington, Diana Krall, the Glenn Miller band, Ben Selvin, the Brian Setzer Orchestra, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Royal Crown Revue, the Squirrel Nut Zippers, and of course Big Bad Voodoo Daddy!



Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Photo courtesy of Panic Manual.


Vintage fashion in a modern day: While I certainly love finding vintage couture that fits like a dream and looks as if it were safely tucked away for the past 60 or 70 years, it isn't that often that I find such a piece in perfect condition or that fits like a glove. So, when that happens, I find myself relying upon the graces of a vintage sewing pattern and a seamstress who knows her stuff! Luckily, I can often find a pattern that is an original but that also will fit me more easily than trying to find a vintage piece of clothing when it's harder to come by. While finding new material to create the clothing certainly isn't vintage and sometimes even harder to locate a print that feels vintage, at least the overall piece will look exactly like a vintage original, and that's alright in my book when you can't find an original that fits. I have been lucky to find many vintage dress and skirt patterns that are reasonably affordable, so then all I have to do is keep my eyes open for the perfect print to use for the clothing. With the help of a qualified seamstress, voila!, you have yourself a perfect new garment that fits great and has the integrity of a true vintage feel.


McCallls Vintage 1950's Wiggle dress pattern #4468. Photo courtesy of Glass of Fashion, Etsy.


What vintage favorites do you find yourself loving this week? I'd love to know!

XOXO, Crystal