Friday, March 18, 2011

Featured Flicks for the Weekend: March 18-March 20: Old Hollywood & BBC Historical Films

I adore classic Hollywood movies and love historically themed films! I like to relax a little on the weekend and unwind with a few old movies and one never-before-seen film from my Netflix que. I am a sucker for old black & white and technicolor comedies, dramas, vaudeville, crime, mystery and romance movies. In honor of this tradition, I thought that I would share with my readers the films that I plan to watch this weekend, a few of which you can watch too if you have Turner Classic Movies available on your cable or satellite stations.

Sunday's lineup includes two great films on TCM, including Lucky Me and Broadway Melody of 1940.

*Image used courtesy of Netflix

Lucky Me, starring Doris Day and Robert Cummings, is a film from 1954. TCM Synopsis: "When the members of a musical troupe take cleaning jobs, their lead singer falls for a famous songwriter." It airs Sunday, March 20 at 10am on TCM.

*Image used courtesy of Netflix

Broadway Melody of 1940, starring Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell, is a film from 1940. TCM Synopsis: "A vaudeville team breaks up when both men fall for the same gorgeous hoofer." It airs Sunday, March 20 at 10:45pm on TCM.

*Image used courtesy of Netflix

Lastly, my Netflix pick for this week is the 1986 BBC film Lady Jane, starring Helena Bonham Carter as Lady Jane Grey and Cary Elwes as Guilford Dudley. TCM Synopsis: "After the death in 1553 of Edward VI, a faction pushes into power his second cousin Lady Jane Grey."

I am a big fan of BBC historical period films and old classic Hollywood films, so I am sure that these will exceed my expectations and offer me a wonderful and relaxing weekend!

Happy watching, Crystal