Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday Favorites: Cucumber Seed Earrings & Cry-Baby!

I thought I would start a new tradition and share with my readers a few of my favorite things in life, from vintage to rockabilly to pinup, each Friday.

This week, I'm loving the handmade and absolutely unique red cucumber seed earrings that I purchased last year from the Southern Highland Craft Guild which is located in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. The guild shop features all sorts of regionally handmade crafts ranging from jewelry to pottery to bowls to stained glass to home decor, most of which can either be purchased in person or through their online store. The guild features art exhibitions and crafting classes and workshops to the public as well. I just love these earrings and wear them frequently and also have them in blue. They are made from the actual seeds of a cucumber (the large- and small-sized seeds) and are then painted. They are available in blue, fuschia, lavender, lime, natural, red and yellow. Each pair is priced at $10 and does not include shipping if you purchase them online. Check them out, as I'm sure you will love them!

*Image used courtesy of the Southern Highland Craft Guild

Lastly, my favorite reminiscence for this Friday is the look, feel and overall vibe of the 1990 cult-classic and rockabilly film Cry-baby. I absolutely loved this movie when it came out and have seen it many, many times. With a young and up-and-coming Johnny Depp as Wade "Cry-Baby" Walker, it quickly became one of my modern-day vintage-feel favorites! Set in the mid 50's, the movie centers around the life of two teenage gangs known as the Drapes and the Squares. Cry-Baby is a troubled delinquent who falls for a prim and proper girl by the name of Allison. Their escapades quickly drag them both into trouble, along with Cry-Baby's friends and family. Allison makes a change for the bad and quickly won me over with her bad-girl makeover, courtesy of Cry-Baby's sister, Pepper, and her friends Wanda and Hatchet Face. The costume design and musicals in this number were just completely wonderful and it is still a favorite of mine to watch for years to come!

*Image used courtesy of JohnnyDeppFan.com

So, have a fun-filled Friday and an awesome weekend. Do you have any Friday favorites that you can't live without? Be sure to share!

XOXO, Crystal